Passport is due to transfer to a new working platform on the 3rd of May 2021. As a result, please ensure you compete any partly completed modules prior to then.
Running in defence
The supporting player should:
- observe the attack in front of them and move into a position to defend space
- identify how the attack is set up:
- where there are more attackers than defenders
- where there are potential mismatches, e.g. a centre versus a prop
- attack formation and alignment – are they flat, deep, narrow or wide?
- keep eyes on opposition to react to changes
- communicate attacking set up and gaps/mismatches/alignment to team mates
- reorganise defensive formation quickly to reduce the ball carrier’s options:
- match up width of defence with width of attack
- move slower defenders towards the contact point
- minimise mismatches
- when ready move forward to stop the attack, make an effective tackle and attempt to win the ball back